Sunday, April 1, 2018

VENDAYA DOSA


It's a short holiday time for my growing up son and his school reopens next week, it's a great feel to realize that he is moving to middle school .  Last year by this time, I was having a vague feel when Jr. H was moved to a new school and I was slightly concerned on how he would cope up and position himself in the new environment but all my panic feelings vanished when I see him quickly adopted to the new atmosphere more comfortably .  Thanks to the teachers, I see a lot of changes in him both academically and behaviorally. 

Also last week he returned us with a surprise on school annual day, he got the most promising student award for the last academic year.  Though I tell him the need to be good in academics, I always insist him on discipline and punctuality because I feel that's the most important skill to acquire for any person to be successful in anything and  I am glad that he has got the hint of my words and practicing it in his day to day life.

Along with him, I am gearing up for his new assignments in middle school, I am preparing myself to handle his preadolescence unpredictable behavior and naughtiness.   



Moving on to the recipe, this is a recipe made with fermented batter; the batter is made from soaked and ground idly rice, urad dhal and fenugreek seeds.  The ratio of the ingredients are 4:3/4:1/4.  The bitterness of fenugreek is not strongly sensed but the unique flavor is smelt in this recipe.   The healthy dosas turn out to be super soft, spongy and tastes delicious.  


INGREDIENTS:
Idly rice - 4 cups
Urad dhal - 3/4 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 cup
Salt - As required
Oil - As needed

PREPARATION:
Soak rice and dhal+Fenugreek separately for 3 hours and grind to a smooth batter.  First, grind the dhal and fenugreek together, would need to grind in butter texture, and later grind the rice, add salt and mix well.  Ferment it for 6-8 hours depending upon the climatic condition in your region.  As it is very hot here, it fermented in 7 hours and volume is doubled up.   After fermentation, you can see bubbles and holes in the batter .
Mix the batter, heat a iron cast griddle, pour a ladle of batter in the center and gently spread to a round circle from center, make it slightly thick.  Spread some oil around the edges, cover the dosa with a lid, when the base turned golden brown, remove and serve. 
Serve it with any chutney/vadacurry.  The soft, spongy healthy dosas are served with idly podi, onion-tomato chutney, coconut chutney (garlic base), and drumstick sambar...Irresistible combination isn't.




No comments: