Tuesday, September 13, 2016

CRISPY RAVA DOSA

Of late, I am seeing Jr.H is more with DH's trait, wanting to taste varieties at home even on weekdays.  He keeps giving me a list of recipes to be made at home.  Usually, I make Idly or dosa at home on weekdays as it would be easy to manage after tiresome working hours.  As today, Jr. H was at home for Bakrid holiday, I managed to rush home early to spend my evening hours with him.  As soon as I entered home, he asked me to prepare rava dosa at home as he is bored of Idly and dosa stuff.  Not to disappoint him, I prepared this recipe for dinner and managed to click some pictures for blogging purposes. (Kindly excuse me if the step by step pictures are not very clear as I managed to click in my mobile phone in urgency).  I would say I was able to satisfy his hunger craving as the dish came out perfect, super crispy.  This is a super easy recipe which can be prepared without any prior perfect planning.

Ingredients:
Rice flour - 1 cup
Rava/sooji - 1/2 cup
Maida - 1/4 cup
Peppercorns - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds/Jeeragam - 1 tsp
Thick Curd - 1 cup (mildly sour)
Salt - To taste
Coriander leaves (Chopped finely)
Green chillies  (Chopped finely)
Water - 2 cups

Preparation:
1. Mix all ingredients and add water and make this to a thin batter.  Set aside for 10 minutes.  The batter would slightly become thick and add little water to it before making dosas.

2. Heat dosa pan/tawa, when the tawa is hot, sprinkle some water and it sizzles.  This is the right consistency for pouring the batter.  Pour the batter from outside to inside as shown in the picture.  There would be lot of small holes seen and do not try to fill in with batter, just leave it as it is.  Add a teaspoon of oil around the dosa. Cover it with a lid and allow it to cook in low to medium flame.


3.  After 2-3 minutes, remove the lid to see if the bottom part becomes nicely golden brown. Remove it slowly using spatula/ladle.  There is no need to flip the dosa as the batter is thin and covered with lid.  The rava dosa would not be in perfect round shape but do not worry because the taste overcomes improper shape.

4. The crispy rava dosa is ready to be served with coconut chutney, sambar, and idly podi.


Note:  Mix the batter every time before you make your dosas and add little water to the batter if it has thicken.

No comments: