Sunday, September 13, 2015

APPALAM KUZHAMBU - FRIED PAPPADS IN TAMARIND SAUCE

If you want to prepare a delectable dish when vegetables are out of stock at home, this is one recipe that you could try out.  I learnt this recipe from my paternal aunt.  I share a close bonding with my paternal aunt though we have never expressed each other much.  I know it is same with my aunt and whenever she talks to me, I could feel the immense love that she had on me.  Since my childhood, my mom says that I resemble my aunt in my looks and behavior; maybe one of the reasons that I have developed a secret liking towards her :-)..

Moving quickly back to the recipe without much distraction, this is a no vegetable dish which can be made in jiffy.  


Ingredients:
Pappads/ulundu appalam - 5 (small size pappads broken into 4 equal sizes)
Red chillies - 12
Asafoetida - a small piece
Tamarind - lemon size (soak in warm water)
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt - as desired
Curry leaves - few

Oil - 5 tsp
Mustard seeds - few

Preparation:
1. Extract the water from the soaked tamarind pulp. 


 2. In a heavy bottomed pan, add oil and throw in mustard seeds and once it crackles, add the red chillies and curry leaves. Add the pappads and fry for a minute.  Add the extracted tamarind water. 
  

3. Add a tsp of turmeric powder and salt.  Let it boil for until it thickens.
 

4. The delectable dish is ready to be served with hot steaming rice and a teaspoon of gingelly oil.



No comments: