Sunday, August 9, 2015

KHARABHAT - RAVA KICHADI WITH A TWIST

I am a great fan of Rava upma ever since my childhood and I am okay to take it even daily.  Recently, we went to Bangalore and had a nice time catching up with an old buddy,  Divi. 

My mind switches to my hostel days immediately where I stayed before my marriage; we stayed together in hostel  in Chennai and shared common interests in many which includes but not limited to food, dressing sense, attitude, behavior, a lot many things to add on to the list...  We go for aerobics in the morning and share the morning filter coffee together in a Balaji Bhavan, Saidapet.  We would be so tempted on seeing the hot steaming ulundu vadais and would share a plate and do some extra aerobics with a guilt feel later.  Ah!! Whenever I think of those days, I get a warmth feel around me.  Those were the days where I had time for myself.  Now my priorities have changed and my world revolves around my people now more than for me but I am fully happy about it.  

After her marriage, Divi moved to Bangalore and during my last Bangalore visit, Divi took me to a restaurant where they served this Kharabhat.  I was so surprised and asked her what it is and she explained it is just the Rava upma with a twist.  I ordered mini tiffin and happened to taste this Kharabhat.  Later, I googled and saw many fellow bloggers have posted this.  Tried this on a weekend and it was very different.  I simply liked the hotness delivered by the dish.  

Ingredients:
Rava - 1 cup
Onion - 2 medium size (chopped finely)
Tomato - 1 medium size
Mixed vegetables -2 cup (Beans, carrot, potato, peas)
Cashew nuts - 10
Ghee - 1-2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Vangibhat powder - 2 tsp
Water - 2.5 cups

To Temper
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Bengal gram - 1 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Green chillies - 3 (Slit in two)

Ingredients:
1.  In a heavy bottomed pan, roast cashews in a tsp of ghee and keep aside.  Roast rava in the same pan with the remaining ghee until the color changes a bit and nice aroma surrounds.  Transfer to a bowl.  


2. In a heavy bottomed pan, add 2 tsp of oil and throw in the tempering items one by one.

3.  Add the onions and tomatoes one by one. 
 4.  Add the vegetables when the onions and tomatoes have cooked half.  Add salt and cook in medium flame until the vegetables are cooked properly.
5.  Add water and when it starts boiling, add roasted rava and stir evenly.  Make sure no lumps are formed. 
 

6.  At the final stage, after rava has absorbed all the water and cooked, add the vangibhat powder with a tsp of ghee.  Mix well.  

7.  Serve hot with chutney or pickle.  I had with tomato thokku as it is my favorite combo.


No comments: