Saturday, May 9, 2015

POORI BHAJI

Pooris are flat Indian breads made from whole wheat flour which are deep fried and aloo bhaji is a potato vegetable.  There are many different versions of Poori Bhaji.  Basically, the term “bhaji” is derived from North India.  In southern part of India, this is called as “Poori Kizhangu” which means Poori accompanied with potato masala.   

I have never got a chance to visit Northern part of India so far and I have heard about various street foods of Mumbai. I hope I would make it happen one day.  Poori Bhaji is quite a popular street food in Mumbai. This is usually served for breakfast or dinner in southern part of India whereas in Northern part this is taken for lunch along with some variety rice.  When I have just finished my college, I got to join a computer center where I got a Gujarati friend.  She is basically a Jain who follows a strict vegetarian food like me.  She invited me to her home one day for lunch.  I was amazed by different varieties of food that has been served for lunch.  I learnt this Aloo bhaji from her Mom.  I have made this many times since then whenever guests visit home and I have always got applauds for this.


Ingredients:
Potato – 500 g
Onion – 2 (sliced thin)
Tomato – 3 (cut into cubes)
Ginger and garlic (Crushed) – little
Chilly Powder – 1-2 tsp
Salt – as desired
Oil – 1 tsp

To Temper:
Jeera – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Red chilly – 1
Green chilly – 1-2 (Optional)
Curry leaves - few

Preparation
1. Wash and pressure cook potatoes with skin.  Peel the skin and mash it.


2. Cut onion and tomatoes as described above. In a pan, add some oil, add the tempering items one by one


3. Add onions, when the onions have turned brown, add tomatoes and required salt.


4. When the tomatoes have become mushy and blend together with onions, add the mashed cooked potato, chilly powder.  Add little water to get the gravy consistency.  Let this boil for 3 minutes


5. Garnish with coriander leaves/cilantro and serve with hot puffed pooris.  I like the flavor of mint, so i added few mint leaves.  

No comments: