Sunday, April 26, 2009

VEG BIRYANI – A BOWL FULL OF GOODNESS

Some of my readers have enquired me about the secrets of weight loss. Definitely, I will share the tips in my forthcoming posts...

Coming to the recipe I am posting today, Veg Biryani, everybody has their own way in preparing this but my mind flashes back to the good old days about learning this recipe…

During my childhood days, biryani’s and pulao’s are not much familiar among vegetarian’s and it is considered to be a nonvegeratian dish..When my mom first heard about this from our neighbor aunty, she was very much excited and wanted to experiment this at home. However, Dad was against to all this masala spices and he strongly rejected it. Hence, mom tried to experiment this with us..When she first prepared, she took a long time in preparing this, even now she says that, but the final outcome was liked by us. She was very happy as she is feeding us with a bowl full of goodness (with veggies, ghee)…Dad was rigid and never attempted to taste that and mom prepared for him some other traditional dish. That was the first time I had my first Veg Biryani (I suppose it was during my 10th or so)..Even now, dad never attempts to try this..

After that, she prepares this specially for us whenever dad is out of station or not at home..When I started experimenting my cooking skills, I slowly collected the recipe of the Veg Biryani from my mom’s friends..Everyone had their own way..I combined whatever I liked and started preparing my own way..It was very much liked by my mom and my brother. I prepare this whenever my cousins or guests come home for vacation…Mom will do the cutting part and will leave the kitchen to me.. There my confidence level and cooking skill started increasing. ..
Here’s the way how I prepare this..
INGREDIENTS:

Basmatic Rice – 2 cups

Mix of vegetables – 2 cups (carrot, beans, potatoes, green peas, corn)

Onion – 1

Mint leaves - few

Red chili powder --- 1 tea sp

Cloves - 2-3

Bay leaf – 1

Cinnamom – 1 inch stick

Ghee --- 4 to 5 tbp

Coriander leaves – few

Coconut milk (optional) – As required

Salt to taste

Oil – As required.


DRY ROAST AND GRIND (1)

Cloves – 3

Cinnamom – 1 inch stick

Saunf/fennel seeds – 2 tsp

Cumin seeds – 1 tsp

Peppercorns – 10

Star anise – 1


TO GRIND (2)

Tomatoes – 2 medium or big size

Ginger – 1/2 inch piece

Garlic flakes – 4 to 5

Green chilies –5 to 6

Mint leaves – handful

METHOD:

· Wash and drain the basmati rice and keep aside for 15 minutes.

· Dry roast the ingredients given in grind (1) section and keep aside. This will be a dry masala powder. I strongly feel that this powder only makes my briyani very aromatic and flavorful.

· Grind all the items given in grind (2) list to a smooth paste adding little water.· Heat pan with some oil, add cinnamom stick and bayleaf, allow them to sizzle, add mint leaves, then the ground masala powder. Then add the ground masala paste and fry till the raw smell goes.

· Then add the onions and mix well. When the onions turn light brown, add the veggies and salt. Mix well and keep in low flame for about 5 minutes. · When the veggies are half cooked, add the basmati rice and double the amount of coconut milk/water or a combination of both coconut milk and water, and chilly powder at last. Mix well. Pressure cook for two whistles.

· Once the pressure is released, add ghee and coriander leaves and mix gently.

· Now the aromatic biryani is ready to serve and can be served with any raita or chips.

I am dedicating this recipe to my beloved brother. He is in US now and it has been a long time I made this for him..Through blog, I would like to share this recipe with him.

31 comments:

Ayesha Parveen said...

Hi,

Thanks a lot. I was waiting for this recipe.

Have a nice day :)

Ayesha

Chitra said...

wow, biriyani...i love it:)Its my favourite.I can have it any time,send me the bowl here, i'll finish it off:)

Lavanya Raj said...

You make me crave for Briyani now! other than adding ground spice powder, my briyani recipe is also the same..

Looking forward for your weight loss secrets!

Ammu said...

Mouth watering briyani. Nice & spicy. Looks yummy !

Dori said...

That sounds nice... It has so many delicious ingredients! I can almost smell it :) I have bookmarked to try!

Jaishree Iyer said...

Wow!Veg Biryani, looks tempting & mouthwatering.. nice clicks...

Unknown said...

Nice Biryani.. looks awesome & fantastic..

kittymatti said...

As usual kalakare!! looks soooo good, wish I was there.. tried that brinjal-tomato sambhar dear.. it came out really well! Thnx!

Deepthi Shankar said...

nice recipe for biryani .. its full of vegetables & goodness .. do share yr tips for weight loss

indhu said...

yummy biryani... looks so delicious and is very tempting! and I understand the part about thinking that biryani is a non-veg dish... it was the same in my house too :)

- Indhu (www.thayirsaadham.com)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

very different type of biriyani...looks very good. will surely try.

Priya Sriram said...

Super yummy biryani Sri!! Looks sooo flavourful and great! I love the recipe, will def try! :)

Sanghi said...

Ooooh yummy veg biryani..! The colour looks so spicy..! :)

vidhas said...

Lovley biriyani, Can feel the aroma.

Chutneytales said...

Biryani Super :)
Its lunch time here...And you have posted a yummy biryani recipe..Now I can't have the usual sambar n rice made at home :(

Shama Nagarajan said...

looks yummy dear..

Suparna said...

HI,
Thanks a lot for ur visit to my blog and kind words. Hopeto see u there more often :) My first time here too, would be frequent to catch up with ur lovely recipes.
This is the typical south Indian Biryai....sluuuuuuuuuuurp I love the way it differs from the other biryanis. Thanks for the recipe :)
TC

Adlak's tiny world said...

lovely pic of veggie bowl... now u got much talented in presenting the photos too as well the recipes and stories darling.

can feel the aroma and taste here.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

looks very nice. everybody will have their own way of making biriyani though the ingredients are almost same.will try ur vrsion too.

AnuSriram said...

Looks inviting! Yummy biriyani!

Vikis Kitchen said...

Internet leye brother kku biriyani parcel pannuriya. Nice recipe and lovely pics.

Sangeetha said...

Hai i am new here and loved veg biriyani, looks delicious ... and you have lots of yummy recipes too. will sure check them all

Uma said...

You know what? I can relate your biryani story to mine. I first tasted veg biryani or pulao when I was in college.

Your version of biryani looks so rich and yummy. What a delicious bowl there staring at me :)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

looking so yummy dear...

chef and her kitchen said...

Lovely Biriyani...

Unknown said...

Hi
I made veg biriyani..I followed u'r recipe and it was just like reastaurant style..absolutely yummylicious!!The spice powder really adds a lot of flavour and aroma to it..Thanx a lot!!U'r blog is fantastic!!

Ramya
http://vegetarian-planet.blogspot.com/

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

love this biriyani.. nice color.. similar to my version!

anudivya said...

Wow, Biriyani looks good... and weight loss? whatz happening while I was gone ;)

Nithya said...

Looks absolutely yummy.. :) Nice blog on the whole.

First time here and should say I am happy that I am here. :) Will be back often. Keep it going.


Do take a peep into my blogs when you find time.

kamala said...

Nice recipe. I prepare this without coconut. I will try yours also.

Anonymous said...

ரொம்ப நல்ல ரெசிப்பி..சாப்பிட்ட திருப்தி..:)



அன்புடன்,

அம்மு.