I am a lover of colors, particularly more on the brighter side. When it comes to food, I try to make the food more colorful in a natural way. Most of my preparations would be of mixed colors with different combination of veggies. Most of the times, while serving the food, I can hear from the people in the dining table "Ah, it's very colorful, increases my craving". Studies says it has lot of health benefits too. Every one of your meal need not be multicolored, in practical it is not possible too to have multicolored foods every time but we can try our best to add colors in a natural way as much as can.
Coming to today's recipe, it is about tomato dosa. Dosa is a typical south Indian crispy and savory pancake made from fermented batter prepared from rice and lentils. There are many variations of dosa, the normal ones are just plain dosa which would be white/brown in color. Being a lover of colors, I prepare different varieties of dosa in different colors. One such variety is tomato dosa. This is easy to prepare and does not require any fermentation. Addition of tomatoes to the regular dosa batter brings a vibrant color to the dish and the subtle tanginess imparts an extra "zing" flavor to this dish.
Idly rice - 2 cups
Urad dhal - 1/4 cup
Fenugreek - 1/4 tsp
Tomatoes - 4-5
Red chilly - 6
Salt - To taste
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/2 tsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
1. Soak idly rice + Urad dhal and fenugreek separately for 3 hours
2. Wash the tomatoes and cut into half. In the mixer, grind the urad dhal and fenugreek mixture along with tomatoes, red chillies and salt. Transfer the contents into a vessel.
3. Grind the soaked rice separately. Add this batter to the already ground mixture and mix well.
4. Heat a kadai with little oil, add the tempering items and add to the batter.
5. In the nonstick dosa pan, pour a ladle of batter and spread in circular shape. Add little oil on the sides to make it crispy. Once it has become golden brown, flip it on the other side to cook it evenly.
6. Serve the dosa with your favorite side dish.